Thursday 13 February 2014

So Far

Thought it about time I shared an image from one of my current ceramic projects.



Can you guess what it is yet?











This is a work-in-progress; in every likelihood the next time I publish an image of this piece it will have completely changed and what can be seen above may well have disappeared from view.

For the record I have used a stoneware clay to hand build this piece, rolling clay coils which were placed on top of each other and blended together. The lower section, which is out of view in the above image, was placed upside down on an electric wheel. I then used various tools including a surform to remove all the lumps, bumps and other irregularities. I then continued to coil and form the desired shape, giving a contrast I hope between the "machined" finish and the more organic upper section.

I suspect I have two to three weeks more work before firing and I will try to post another image in that time. Obviously the finished work will also get an outing. In the next week or so I should receive back from glaze firing three pots I threw on the wheel and then deformed into I trust pleasing forms. More on those in a while.




No comments: